Thursday, October 11, 2012

Dinosaur dress

I turned 40 last week.  One of those big "ending-in-zero" birthdays one tends to over-think.  I decided to make a dinosaur dress instead.   I've had this fabric in my stash since dinosaurs walked the earth  I started back to sewing four years ago.  I bought it at Joann's -- quilting cotton, nothing fancy, but it amuses me.  And I am not the only sewist to go for the dino-camo!

I used Butterick 6075 for the fourth time. (Also used here, here and here.  And I think the first one is still my favorite.)  It seems if I really like a dress pattern I make it four times.  This is ... the fourth time I've done that. What do you know.  (The others were Butterick 6074, Butterick 6149, and Serendipity Studios Claire Cami dress, not that there's a pop quiz at the end of this or anything.)

So, goofy dinosaur-dress:


This version's a bit more fitted, and the neckline a bit more scooped out.  Since I have made this four freaking times it came out pretty much like I wanted it to.  It's lined with Bemberg rayon.  I would have preferred a more yellow-based green but I already had this on hand.  



Now, about the hat.  It's a birthday surprise from my husband -- all cute and vintage-y, yet a darned practical sun hat as well!  It's fun to wear and hides the fact that my hair's pretty much never styled.   I may just wear it in all my finished garment photos from now on. Also: this hat makes me feel like Raiden from Mortal Kombat.  I'm not sure why because Raiden's hat is pretty much totally different.  

(Source)
FINISH HER, RAIDEN!



Anyhow, yay hat!

4 comments:

  1. This is definitely my favorite!
    Great fit! Awesome finish!
    All you need is a good T Rex!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy birthday!

    Thank you for showing the insides - so inspiring! I've loved all your dresses, but with this one I think you've really nailed the fit!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I. Love. It.

    It reminds me of the Magic School Bus, in a good way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. HAPPY Birthday! I love the dino camo, it makes a really cute dress! I wish I had some, it reminds me of my dog camo. And that hat......perfect!

    ReplyDelete