Friday, July 9, 2010

Eight questions

The lovely Bea of Butterfles and Hurricanes tagged me for for the "Eight Questions" game.  (Her responses to the questions are here.)   This is the first time I've been tagged for something like this, at least since I have had a blog!  Here are my Qs and As:

1) What outfit from a movie would you love to re-create?

Argh, a stumper right out of the gate!   I don't watch many movies, and tend to like ones that focus on maximizing body count rather than style.  Also, I am quite new to sewing: it's only been in maybe the past six months that the idea of re-creating something I saw out in the world would even occur to me.    It seems like I should be able to come up with something nonetheless, but so far no luck.

2) Tell us about your sewing spot/room. What is your favorite thing about it?

I have the most awesome sewing space -- it's the biggest and best room in the house! It used to be our living room, but we spent very little time in it, as we don't entertain.   And after the dog ruined the sofa and we had to throw it away, there was even less reason to go in there.     It was my husband who suggested we move my sewing stuff down there from the hot, cramped loft space where it was at the time.  This is the result:


And a couple of months ago, I traded the fish tank (the dark thing at the far left in the photo above) with a friend for a shelving unit to hold my fabric and patterns:


My sewing space has great light, and lots of room to move around and places to store stuff.  We moved my husband's comfy chair in there too so that he can read with (and sometimes to!) me while I sew.  I guess I pretty much love everything about my setup!

3) Where did you learn to sew? Who taught you?

My mother laid the foundations of my interest in sewing.  She learned to sew at age eight, and made all her own clothes from then until college, and much of my childhood wardrobe.   As a result, it was sort of hard for her to teach me when I first became interested as a kid: she had been sewing for so long by that point it all seemed obvious to her!  Plus, I have to admit to being a hard-headed and inattentive student.   I tried sew again in my 20s, but was frustrated at how my projects fell short of my dreams.  I now realize that the sewing machine I had at back then deserved some of the blame: it was a low-end model, and never truly worked right, but at the time I thought it was me who was doing things wrong.

So, now in my 30s sewing is finally "taking", and I have to say that the Internet has been my best teacher!   There are so many wonderful tutorials online, and so many fellow sewists who serve up inspiring projects and helpful tips daily.  Even hearing about others' sewing mishaps is very helpful, since it has made me realize that my own failures are totally normal.

4) If you could have dinner with one person from the past, who would it be?

Hm, maybe one of my favorite artists, like Yves Tanguy.   He was a Surrealist painter, and completely self-taught.  

5) What/Who inspires you?

As far as sewing goes,  the biggest ones would be my vintage pattern collection, the stock at Anthropolgie, and stuff I see people wearing out in the world.  While we were in Paris, I was amazed by all the wonderful dresses and skirts with interesting details I saw -- I wish I could have documented them, since I've forgotten most of them already!

6) What will always make you laugh?

My husband (for laughing with) and my dog (for laughing at). 

7) What is your favorite flavor of ice cream?

My digestive system prefers frozen yogurt to actual ice cream.  Right now my favorite is peanut butter from Tasti d' Lite.  Preferably with some Oreos crumbled on it.

8) What is something you would like us to know about you that you have never shared on your blog?

I happen to have a job that I love, as a software developer.  I was an art major in college, and never imagined that I could have the kind of career I have now!  I'm glad I discovered my interest, however, late, and that I finished my computer science degree, even though at times I didn't think I could do it.   If any woman out there happens to be thinking about getting a CS degree, please read the book Unlocking the Clubhouse: Women in Computing, which explains why women are intimidated by computer science programs.  Understanding why makes it so much easier not to be!  

OK, that's my eight!   I'll nominate a few people to do this next if they are so inclined ... my best friend schmeebot (who may need to replace the word "sewing" with "knitting" in her answers), Georgi of Dinner with Picasso (who may not know I have a blog yet, come to think of it) and Sophie Miriam.  I think most everyone else I can think of has been tagged!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for sharing these answers with us and wow do I love your sewing room. I have a whole room dedicated to sewing too but it looks like a shoe box compared to your space. I am so jealous.
    PS It's great to see that you had a wonderful time travelling Europe. I can't believe how quickly this trip came around now
    XX

    ReplyDelete