I took a good bit out of the bodice area, which helped the fit, but I think I could have done even more. Unfortunately, the way I did the modification enlarged the armhole a bit, which was not a particularly good thing. I have no immediate plans to make this a third time, but if ever do, I'll try to redraft to fix those issues. The neckline's also a bit wide: the first time I sewed a narrower seam to give a little bit more coverage, but I forgot to do it this time.
It's also a little baggy in the back -- not sure how that happened, as I didn't change the back piece. I think it's the result of using a more drape-y fabric (that also may have grown a bit while I sewed).
The round tab part could be a little better, but I don't think its flaws would be too noticeable to the non-sewer. And I really like the buttons I found: they were on clearance at High Fashion Fabric, and remind me of contour maps.
I hung the dress for days before hemming, but still managed to achieve the most crooked-ass hem I have ever sewn. Also, I noticed as I was finishing that there's a visible irregularity in the print that shows up in the skirt pieces. It disappears when you're up close to the fabric. I self-lined the bodice, but used cotton/poly lawn for the skirt. Next time I'll line the whole thing in lawn for added stability. I only interfaced the lining of the contrast fabric: next time I'll interface both sides. That would fix the pucker you see in the photo above. Nit-picks aside, the dress isn't so bad. I like that it screams "Autumn!" ... it's the perfect Thanksgiving dress. Too bad we're well past that and hurtling toward Christmas.
It has been two weeks since I did any sewing! I have another vintage pattern and not-so-vintage fabric waiting for me on my sewing table -- hopefully I can spend some quality time with them today.