Thursday, April 22, 2010

Pattern review catch-up: giant tulip dress


I had a pile of things (Six! Seven if you count the pattern fail.) that I need to write pattern reviews for. One down now, three to go. The review I've finished is for American Weekly 3869, a mail-order pattern from the 1940s. 1940s patterns may be my favorite, at least if you ditch the linebacker shoulders some of them have. Anyhow, AW 3869 is a simple a-line dress with some neckline interest. And a giant tulip. After some deliberation, I decided to leave that part off, but I think I am a giant tulip-wearer in spirit.

The dress was pretty easy to sew, as I recall. I had to remove excess fabric at the side seams, but that seems to be the norm for me. I've thought about trying a 30 rather than a 32 ... maybe that would fit better, but I can't get past the fact that the number is too small. :) My standard alterations that I do on the pattern are to add an inch to the length in the bust and add in the hip area -- based on the pattern measurements I added two inches total for this one.

I made two versions: a quilting cotton "wearable muslin" and then a Fall plaid one with an underlined skirt. I might actually like my wearable muslin one better. I was amazed that I got the rick-rack in on the first try on my first version. I basted right were I wanted my seam to go, and then followed the dotted line, as it were. I do wish I'd taken the time to figure out how to line the bodice part on both dresses, but other than that I'm pretty happy with them. Especially now that some time has passed since I sewed them. Right after I finish, I'm too aware of the parts I feel critical of, be it my sewing skillz, fit, fabric choice or whatnot. Does anyone else have this problem? Maybe it goes away as you sew more (and better).

The pattern review is here.



1 comment:

  1. This tulip dress is lovely!!! I like them both - they look nice on you. The style is so simple and pretty : )

    ReplyDelete