Does it not look like I should be bringing you some fresh towels? Or a refill on your coffee? A side of bacon, perhaps? After some deliberation (and my husband's sage input), I left off the pockets to keep from veering too far into maid-or-waitress territory. But this style has been so heavily co-opted for modern-day uniforms, it's hard to leave it behind completely. However. I do like the dress, and intend to wear it, albeit not to hotels, diners, or the office. The fit is extremely good for a pattern I've never made before, especially in the shoulders and upper back, problem areas for me. I think the wrinkles in the photo below are just from normal walking: I have a pretty vigorous stride.
Here is the pattern I used. It's a mail order pattern, so no date on it. I would guess it's from the 1940s, but it has a 3 cent stamp on its envelope, which makes me a little less certain. Bulk rates in the 1940s were lower than 3 cents, but I guess this didn't go out in bulk, so I have no idea what the postage should have been. I used a previous pattern to do my alterations when I traced it off: I took out a little under the arms, and added a half-inch to the bodice length. I think I may have added a bit in the hips -- if I did, I shouldn't have, even though my hip measurement is two inches bigger than what was given. It went together very easily, though the sleeves had me scratching my head a bit: they seemed too big! I know that having more of a sleeve head than necessary is common, and that was certainly true here, but I found that the bottom of the sleeve was wider than the sleeve band, too. I decided not to trim off what seemed like excess, and just gathered it a little so it would fit. I think it came out okay, and I'm not sure I would go to the trouble of altering it were I to make this again.
I did I full lining, as is my preference, but I didn't want to line with the shirting material that I was using for the collar and cuffs. So I attached the collar facing to the lining material: it's kind of doubling as interfacing too, as it adds a little needed support to that area. (I guess technically it's "outerfacing" since it's not inside.) The lining does not hang free: I sewed the hems of the lining and outside material together. The cuffs and collar are edged with the velvet rick-rack. I neglected to get a close-up shot, but hey, it looks like the pockets I posted earlier but ended up not using.
As always, my husband deserves a big thank you for patiently taking many photographs of two very difficult subjects. A natural-born model I ain't. And my poor dog was desperate to go to the park a few doors down: on the weekends we head over there a couple of times a day to meet up with other dogs he can play with. Even though he's just a little guy, he loves to run with the big dogs!
Next up on my sewing schedule: trying to fix my machine. Ugh. But I can't leave a wad of fabric jammed in it innards forever ...