The award "rules" (only in blogland do awards have rules!) are that you should list seven things about yourself and then nominate 15 other blogs. Like chain mail, back in the day.
So here we go, my seven rather haphazardly-selected things:
1. I hate Mad Men. Yes, the fashions are lovely, and with the Mad Men sewing challenge going on, I've enjoyed seeing the screenshots folks have been posting on their blogs. But the show itself? A turgid hour of people treating each other horribly and learning nothing from it. I just don't see the appeal.
2. I do however love violent high body-count shows like The Wire and The Shield. What could be more horrible than killing scads of other people? Seems a little hypocritical, but there you go -- I guess there are different kinds of horrible and I like some better than others. Anyhow, lately we've been working our way through Justified, which is basically the Kentucky hillbilly variation on this theme. I read a lot of novels in this genre, too: my favorite author is Lee Child, and I just finished Craig Johnson's series and wish there were more of 'em.
3. While we're on the subject of TV ... HGTV house and home-themed shows are a guilty pleasure of mine. When I was in grad school, my Friday night indulgence was to watch Trading Spaces and While You Were Out. We dropped cable service when we moved after grad school, so I kind of forgot about these shows. But recently I rediscovered HGTV online, and have been watching Property Virgins and other home-buying shows. Mind you I have never owned or decorated a home. I'm sure I will someday, but it hardly feels like a pressing concern, so I'm not sure why I find these shows so fascinating!
4. I've talked about my dog and my birds here, I think, but I also have some other pets that I don't think I've mentioned. Mainly because they don't do anything worth mentioning! My dozen land hermit crabs chill in their 75 gallon terrarium and don't bother nobody. Most of them I've had for six-plus years (two were adopted from a co-worker about three years ago). It's believed that land hermit crabs can live up to 50 years ... there's a woman out there who bought two land hermit crabs in the late 70s and still has them!
5. Last time I went to the doctor for a physical, I measured a half-inch taller than I ever have before. Am I growing at the tender age of 39?? They measured me in multiple exam rooms just to be sure the ruler attached to the wall hadn't gotten out of whack. I have been trying to stretch my upper back and neck because I've had some pain from being super tense there. I guess it is working!
6. My husband once commented that I wear all clothes like pyjamas. He's not wrong: I like things to be loose and comfortable! Ironically, I sleep in old shorts and a t-shirt, not actual pyjamas.
7. I love sugary frosting, like you find on really good birthday cakes and wedding cakes. The stuff that makes other people recoil and say "oh, that's too sweet"? That's what I'm talking about! As you might imagine, I love the current cupcake shop trend.
Now, for the tagging of others ... I hereby tag anyone who won one of my giveaways! As always, I am not offended if this kind of blogging game doesn't amuse you and you decide to pass. Because we had some duplicate winners, that only brings us to 14 but eh, good enough. If you want that 15th slot, consider it yours!
Jubejue of Petite Republic
Jane of Handmade Jane
Carmen of CamencitaB
Gail of Today's Agenda
KittyMeow of Kitty's Drawings
Kat of Krafty Kat
Mariana (who still needs to send me an email to claim her prize!)
If I've listed you above sans blog, it means I couldn't find your blog, not that I don't love you. :D If you DO have a blog, let me know and I'll update my post! And FYI, I mailed the last round of giveaways (for which I had addresses, anyhow) last Monday ... a week later than I expected, but hopefully the ones going to US addresses have reached their destinations by now.
I have been doing some sewing too, and I'll post updates on that soon. I'd hate for this post to be photo-less, so here's an iPhone shot from our trip to Miami Beach last May. I wish I was there now!