So, I finally finished the second, better fitting version of Butterick 6574 (from 1953) yesterday. I think I am going to have to come up with cute names for these in the future -- I am tired of having to go look up the pattern number every time I want to write about something I'm making! Anyhow, the second version fits a whole lot better, so hooray! There is still room for improvement, but the remaining fit issues don't really bug me so I'm going to put this one in the win column.
That's version number 2 at top left. I did quite a lot of alteration (for my beginner-ish self, anyhow) to get there. What I did not do is adjust the waist length (or even width, actually) and I am actually quite happy with the result! So thanks again everyone who gave me feedback on my earlier projects where I lengthened the waist. I agree that this works better!
I posted a picture of the re-drafted bodice pieces earlier, so I won't show that again, but here's an itemized list of the alterations I made:
1. Take a wedge out under the arm hole, tapering to nothing at the waist. I did this a couple of times, as the drafting progressed, so I'm not sure how much the total amount was.
2. Rotate bust darts up slightly -- this one was very easy to do.
3. Rotate shoulder strap position inward. (The original version was hanging off my shoulders!)
1. Add darts at the neckline, pointing at the tops of the waist darts. This helped a lot with the extra fabric I had going on in back, but there is still some unresolved looseness where the darts taper off.
2. Take some extra out under the arms.
3. Rotate shoulder strap position inward.
All the pictures I took of Butterick 6574 are here in my Flickr stream. And keeping me company here is my dog, Dinky.